Wednesday 26 September 2007

Here come the Hills of Time...pondering that elusive "state of grace"...

Some years ago it occurred to me that it was wildly hopeful and overly optimistic to speak in terms of the best years of one's life...surely about the most that we can hope for (or humbly expect)is to have accrued a small collection of memories which may have originally lasted only moments...I remember crossing Fore street from the station to the mall at Edmonton Green seeing Zen and our baby son James, in his push chair beaming...so happy to see me...Me of all people!
...I remember one of those perfect London summer afternoons in our new house...sitting on our sofa, (also now long gone), reading the Times; church bells, and even that beautiful English sound of willow on leather...yes the crack of a cricket bat...
Kate knows what I'm talking about...

2 comments:

James Baker said...

it's true; our happiest moments are oh-so brief.. and as you point out they are often found in the strangest little details.

I am surprised at how many of my happiest memories are from watching films or reading books. They aren't even really my own "happy moments" at all... just memories of my participation in a fictional process...

hyperborean said...

Dear Jimbo,

Thank You again for your comment/feedback...if you think that you live vicariously through films...I think a lot of us do...but then as I've mentioned before I frequently visit you're Blog to live vicariously myself...Comic Con, the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, France, Japan, South America!...curiously enough I was just thinking the other day about a conversation You and I had not long after we first met; when you told me about writing to Ralph McQuarrie.